Monday 25 February 2013

Harry Hedgehog

Free Hedgehog Toy Knitting Pattern

Hey all I'm back with another pattern.
Let me just start by saying this little guy actually started off as a bee but as I knit him up at looked at the finished toy and realised he looked way more like a teeny weeny hedgehog and so Harry was born. When I say teeny this guy is only 1.5" long, I mean honestly who doesn't need a mini hedgehog in their life? Oh yeah and since he is so tiny he takes lest than half an hour to make, seriously he took me about 20min and I'm not a fast knitter. I knit one up without the safety eyes for my one year old and its a great little Waldorf style toy for him to play.
So now your dying to make one (or a million) aren't you, and you're imagining all the people you can hand gift them to? Well let the yarn see the needles....

Free toy knitting pattern baby hedgehog


 Materials
• Set of 3.25mm needles (UK size 10, US size 3)
• Yarn needle
• Toy stuffing
• 5mm black safety eyes

Yarn colours
• Dark brown
• Light brown

Yarn weight: Double knitting/ worsted weight

Gauge: not important but make it tight so stuffing doesn’t show through

Finished measurements: approx 1.5" long and 1" wide

Click here for my abbreviation list

TOY SAFETY
Remember never use toy safety eyes on a toy intended for a child under 3 years old, they are a potential choking hazard, please embroider on any features so they cannot be easily removed by little fingers or gnashers!

Please click here for my copyright info


Hedgehog Pattern:

CO 6 in dark brown yarn
1. knit
2. *kfb* along (12 sts)
3. knit
4. *kfb, k1 * along (18 sts)
5. knit
6. *kfb, k2* along (24 sts)
7-11. Garter stitch for 5 rows
12.  *k2tog, k2* along (18 sts)
Change to light brown yarn
13. purl
14.  *k2tog, k1* along (12 sts)
15. purl
16.  *k2tog* along (6 sts)
17. purl
18. knit
19. purl

Cut yarn, leaving a long yarn tail. Use scrap yarn to embroider on a nose and eyes or insert safety eyes at this point. Use the long yarn tail to mattress stitch together the row ends, stopping 3/4 way to stuff and then continue close the remaining stitches. Weave in any loose yarn ends.

That's it you're done. How easy was that?

Suggestions
  • If you want some feet or ears on your little guy you can use the light brown yarn to embroider them on using a french knot, awesome tutorial here.
  • Knit these little guys up in loads of different colours to give as party favours at a kids party or as classmate gifts.
  • Add a little ribbon bow on the head for a girl hedgehog or knit one using the bow section from my Mr & Mrs Tasche Pattern.
Happy Knitting
Raynor x

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ca-ute! *Runs for her needles to start knitting immediately*

XXX

SUSSEXMOUSE said...

Me too ! Just off to grab my needles. Just itching to start knitting him. Many, many thanks for sharing your pattern. Take care now. Marion x

SUSSEXMOUSE said...

Hi Raynor. I have just knitted "Scruff" my Hedgehog from your Pattern and posted a photo on my Blog. I have given my readers a link back to you as the Designer. I hope this is ok with your copyright rules. Take care now. Marion x

Unknown said...

Hi there

I've just come across your blog and this little hedgehog caught my eye! My daughter is going to love it! I'm always looking for quick knit toy projects and this looks great. Thank you!

Hayley at Crafter's Haven
www.crafttomake.com